In Patient Unit Meal Service Volunteer
Supervisor : IPU Team Leader
Location : Main Hospice
Time Commitment: Our shifts range between 8.30am until 6.30pm each day. For this role we require a commitment of at least one shift each week, due to the need to remain familiar with current procedures.
Some of our patients may have a more complex mixture of physical, emotional, or spiritual needs and therefore require admission to the ward for specialist care. The Nursing team on our 21 bed Inpatient Unit at Ashgate Hospice care are there to provide specialist care, support, and advice to people who have a progressive illness which is not curable. Our volunteers on the ward are a vital part of the team caring for patients. Volunteers work closely with the catering & clinical teams to assist with the delivery of meals to our patients.
Role Description: Helping to serve breakfasts, morning coffee, lunches, afternoon teas and suppers in conjunction with the Catering Team
What will the role involve?
- Supporting the delivery of meals and refreshments to patients, encouraging patients to eat through the creation of a social atmosphere and suggesting alternative menu options where appropriate
- Completing patient food charts to accurately log food intake and report any concerns to the Clinical Teams with regards to food intake
- Obtaining patient food orders considering of any dietary or special food requirements as directed by the Clinical Team and Catering Team
- Laying trays, clearing away meal trays and crockery, changing water jugs
- Ensuring infection control measures are adhered to
- Working with & supporting catering & clinical staff
- Offering support to families & involving colleagues from supportive care when necessary
What kind of people are we looking for?
- An understanding of palliative care and people with life limiting illnesses
- Can maintain confidentiality and ethical boundaries
- Is empathetic, calm, reassuring and emotionally resilient.
- Understands the importance of working under the guidance of the team leader and staff members on duty
- Willing to abide by the policies and procedure of Ashgate Hospice
- Is well presented and over 17 years old
What we will provide:
- Full training for you to carry out the role safely
- Any equipment you would need (including PPE)
- Travel expenses
- DBS checks