An Independent Visitor (IV) is an adult volunteer who befriends and develops a long-term friendship with you. This can involve helping you develop new interests, skills and hobbies or going on outings such as to the cinema, bowling or just a walk in the park. You can choose activities to do together and try new opportunities.

The volunteers are called ‘Independent Visitors’ because they are a truly ‘independent’ person who will come and visit you for as long as you both want to. They are not paid and come because they really want to help you and become a trusted friend and buddy.

Each volunteer is carefully matched with you in their local area who shares similar interests.

If you would like to request an Independent Visitor your social worker or carer can make a referral for you or you can do this yourself by email childrens.rights@derbyshire.gov.uk