Weekday Main Reception Volunteer
Department: Clinical Administration
Supervisor: Main Reception Team Lead
Time commitment: A regular commitment is important. Ideally, one morning or afternoon shift
We have vacancies for the following regular shifts, which can be on a weekly rotation, fortnightly or once a month, depending on your availability:
8.30am – 13.00pm Mornings
13.00pm – 17.00pm Afternoons
Our team of Receptionists are the first point of contact with the Hospice for a wide range of people, whether it be by ‘phone or face to face. This includes dealing directly with patients, their families and carers, GPs, District Nurses, staff, volunteers, and any other visitors who may attend the hospice. Ashgate Hospice recognise that our reception volunteers play a vital part in helping us provide the best standard of patient care. For that we are extremely grateful.
What the role may involve:
- Providing a first-class reception service, either face to face or by telephone
- Operating a computerised switchboard, answering calls, and taking messages for various staff and departments.
- Assisting visitors in a sensitive manner, maintaining excellent standards of customer service
- Ensuring the current security measures are upheld and only nominated visitors, staff and contractors access the Hospice / IPU.
- Supporting the Hospice to ensure existing infection prevention and control measures are followed, such as ensuring all visitors and contractors have completed the required testing requirements, temperature checking all visitors/contractors on arrival, hand sanitising.
- Receiving and assisting with external post, parcels, and donations.
- Maintaining records for efficient reception service including up to date inpatient information
- Basic administrative tasks and use office equipment (i.e., PC, photocopier, printer)
- Maintain confidentiality, security and integrity of information relating to patients, staff, and other Hospice business during the course of duty
- Keeping the reception area tidy.
- Promoting the Hospice’s events & fundraising campaigns
What kind of people are we looking for?
- Someone with effective communication skills, is sociable, friendly and fits in with the whole team
- Previous experience in a similar public facing/customer service role would be an advantage
- IT skills particularly use of Microsoft Outlook for email and electronic calendars would be advantageous.
- The ability to work empathetically and sensitively with the skills to cope with the demands of emotional patients and relatives
- An understanding of confidentiality and the importance of abiding by Ashgate’s policies and procedure
- Understands the importance of representing the hospice within the community
- Will complete all Core Skills Training in the first 8 weeks
What we can offer:
- Full training for all aspects of the role
- Travel expenses
- The chance to be part of a friendly and supportive team
- A rewarding role that enhances the patient & visitor experience at Ashgate
If you are interested in this role, please contact the Volunteering Team at Ashgate on 01246 568801 or email email@example.com